A Place to Make Friends
St. Francis is truly a wonderful place to gather and make friends. From our Tables for Ten dinner groups to Family Music Night, from the annual Pancake Supper to our popular chili cook-off every fall, we offer many events to relax, enjoy good food and company, and have fun! Learn more about our fun and fellowship by following our Facebook page. Here is a sampling of events from throughout the year:
- Tables for Ten: Each fall, our Tables for Ten coordinator organizes groups of ten for dinner gatherings, which usually meet five times during the year at different homes. It's potluck, low-key, and a great way to meet new people and see old friends!
- Luncheons and Special Dinners: The auctions at our annual fundraising event, the St. Francis Gala, draw many contributions of specially themed luncheons and dinners hosted by parishioners. Highlights have included Moroccan and medieval feasts, Barbadian parties, wine country picnics, afternoon teas, and lunches featuring lessons in flower arranging. All of these inspired events provide a chance to gather in fellowship and contribute to a good cause!
- Brunches and Special Receptions: During the year we host many newcomer brunches, an Easter brunch, a reception for the Bishop's annual visit, receptions following special performances and musical events, and many other gatherings in our parish hall.
Pancake Supper: Just before Lent, we gather in the parish hall for delicious pancakes, courtesy of our men's group.
- Fall Chili Cook-off: Close to Halloween, we host a chili cook-off where everyone can show off their cooking skills! In addition to the chili contest, we also have a Halloween costume contest. This lively event is often held the same day as our "Mini-Walk" to help the homeless.
- Spring Women's Retreat: Each spring, women of St. Francis gather at Shrine Mont for a quiet and relaxing weekend. The retreat is a perfect time for reading, hiking, reflecting, and inspired conversation.
- Country Fair: The Country Fair held on a Saturday in early October, is an annual Franciscan signature community event and fundraiser. This fun event includes live music, lunch, activities for children, and other attractions. The fair offers many volunteer opportunities involving wonderful fellowship for youth and adults--from baking and decorating to organizing children's activities, serving food, and preparing our grounds. Another great opportunity to invite your friends!
- St. Francis Gala: Our annual winter gala is a formal dinner and live auction of items and services donated by Franciscans and local merchants. It is an occasion for dressing up, fellowship, and fundraising for great causes.
- Shrine Mont: Held the first weekend in June of each year, the Shrine Mont retreat gathers parishioners and friends from St. Francis as well as St. John's of McLean at Shrine Mont, seat of the Episcopal Diocese of Virginia in Orkney Springs. This beautiful mountain setting is a relaxing place to gather for fellowship, recreation, and having fun. Come to hike, read, or fish; play tennis, golf, softball, or croquet; or just enjoy the rocking chairs on the old-fashioned porch. Special highlights include a Friday night bonfire with s'mores, an ice cream social, a parade, an amazing talent show, and a wonderful outdoor worship service on Sunday morning.